is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I’ve spent countless hours neglecting my personal blogs trying to find a decent vacation flat in central Paris for my family this summer. With all my research and love for the investigative process (thanks, Baylor U.), I am not yet ready to throw in the towel. Thank goodness we have a somewhat flexible calendar with which to work!
Of course there are countless hotels and motels, hostels and campgrounds, and apartments that are available. But there is ALWAYS a BUT. Not enough beds. Too many steps (I can handle a 2-3 floor walk up but I draw the line at 4). Not enough reviews (I don’t want to be the first reviewer). Too far from the nearest Metro. When you have a 3 foot high little person, you don’t want to be too far from the nearest train. Not because she can’t handle the walk (she’s a tough little person). Because you won’t ever get to the train on time due to all the distractions en route!
I’ve used several online websites, scoured articles from Travel+Leisure, reviewed reviews from tripadvisor.com and fodors.com, and am slightly overwhelmed. I’ve watched Game of Thrones and Glee season 4 while at the same time, going cross-eyed looking at places.
If any of you have been to Paris, please send me your 2 cents.
I’ve looked at the following sites and articles over the last few weeks.
Let me know if you suggest any more!
- http://www.airbnb.com — put in for 3 places, none of which worked out. Average time spent on each including initial research, booking request and the response from host: 36 hours each (!) never to be captured again. Positive: my security deposits were returned via Paypal immediately after the negative requests posted. I haven’t given up on the site. We’re also using them for our upcoming Berlin trip.
- http://www.9flats.com — still pending one request…and I’m still looking!
- http://www.tripadvisor.com — great source for honest reviews
- http://www.fodors.com — source for travel forum questions
- http://www.google.com — the Google knows all
- Travel and Leisure article — Top European Vacation Rental Sites
- Travel and Leisure Paris Travel Guide
- Travel and Leisure article — Affordable Small Hotels in Paris
Wish me luck. Maybe we can take a trip to the City of Lights after all…